Print this page

Enlarged picture

Part of the interior of fortress Westervoort - may 1940

Fortress Westervoort, at the junction of the rivers Yssel and Rhine near Arnhem.

To the left the walls in which trenches had been dug-out. The Germans laid a deadly machinegun fire on these walls during the battle., suppressing the defenders.

In the heart of the picture the totally burnt down remains of the wooden barracks, in which the communication centre of the local defence had been situated. One could wonder which military genius had thought of applying these fragile structures in a fortress that served a purpose in one of the main defensive locations in the Ysselline...

Category 13 May / War scenes (127 images)