Print this page

Enlarged picture

The railway bridge at Moerdijk - may 1940

The two bridges crossing the wide Hollands Diep were almost 1,500 metres long.

Although prepared for destuction, the bridges were not destroyed when the Germans landed around 0500 hrs on May 10, 1940. The detonator wires had been stored in the river casemates as an act of precaution not to destroy the bridges prematurely. That in itself quite understandable precaution could not be undone when the German airbornes virtually landed on top of the defences in the morning of the 10th.

Particularly the adjecent traffic bridge was vital to the German strategy to conquer the Fortress Holland. The preservation of the intact bridges was therefore a key victory to the German airbornes.

 
Category Gallery / War scenes (127 images)